General Information about ISM
- Created on Tuesday, 25 March 2008 15:58
- Last Updated on Wednesday, 18 April 2012 16:35
- Written by Administrator
The official name is International Society for Mine Surveying.
The international abbreviation is ISM, according to the name International Society for Mine Surveying.
ISM is an association of specialists in mine surveying or in the fields belonging thereto.
ISM is a non-governmental organisation of category C (MUTUAL INFORMATION RELATIONSHIP) according to the letter of the Director General of UNESCO of June 22nd, 1977.
ISM is a permanent member of the World Mining Congress carrying out its activities as an independent international organisation.
ISM is a non profit-making organisation.
The purpose of ISM is to encourage co-operation in the various fields of mine surveying by means of:
- the organisation of scientific congresses
- the establishment of commissions for special fields of mine surveying
- the fostering and issuing of publications, particularly those relating to the congresses and the commissions
- cooperation with the International Societies in the fields of mining, geodesy, geology, geophysics, rock-mechanics, etc.
- the fostering of worldwide co-operation in mine surveying by exchanging the students, academic staffs and practitioners in mine surveying between individual countries. In order to realise the aims of the ISM, national Associations or sections of mine surveyors in the appropriate specialist organisations should be constituted, unless they already exist. They delegate a member to the ISM Presidium, as a rule.